One of my favorite Collin County judges enjoys admonishing clients at most hearings involving children of the following: “The most important parenting decision that you make is the person you choose to have sex with.” After that, the rest is history.
I have compiled a list of my top ten favorite phrases that family court judges and attorneys alike use in our daily life to explain the phenomenon of parenting:
- Shoes come in pairs.
- Takes two to tango.
- You choose her/him.
- Apples don’t fall far from the tree.
- Crazy is as crazy does.
- A one-night stand can last a lifetime.
- At some point, it was LOVE, or something close.
- Sex is a moment. Parenting is a lifetime.
- If he wasn’t that great after a few drinks, imagine parenthood.
- Don’t let your bad choice hurt your child’s future.
I challenge you to be prepared for this one-liners delivered in your direction from the witness box or being lectured to you by the judge post-hearing. That way, you won’t be as insulted/shocked when delivered in your general direction. Advice for processing these comments? Do not respond with argument or explanation as this may not end well.